Have You Found Us on Facebook?
Having Trouble Using Member Login or in Accessing a Members-Only Area?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Website Issue" in the subject line and your message will be forwarded for resolution.
What's Coming up?
Thur, 26th WWCGS Dona Donation Project Team - Meeting Cancelled
Wednesday, May 9th: May 2018 WWCGS Board Meeting
6:30 pm to 8:45 pm All members are invited to attend.
Livonia Civic Center Library, Michigan Room
Monday, May 21th: May 2018 WWCGS General Membership Meeting & Election of Officers for 2018-2019 6:15 pm to 8:45 pm
Livonia Civic Park Senior Center Building, 15218 Farmington Road
Featured Speaker: Katherine Willson
Topic: Which Way Did She Go? Locating Those Elusive Maiden Names
5:00 PM Room Setup (Hospitality Team welcomes volunteers to help with arranging tables & chairs.)
5:30 PM Early Bird Special: Bring your dinner & engage with members
6:15 PM Announcements
Election of 2018-2019 Executive Board
Pre program Round Table (Loretta Dunham, Monroe County Archives)
7:30 PM Main Program
Saturday, June 9th: Field Trip to the Genealogical Center at the Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Field trip in conjuction with the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research. Transporation to & from ACPL via charter bus.
Register at https://dsgr.org/
- Depart: Lawrence Technological University parking lot C 6:15 am
- Depart: Livonia Sr Ctr (15218 Farmington Rd @ 5 Mile Rd) 7:00 am
- Depart: Chelsea Park & Ride at Exit 159 off I-94 7:45 am
- Rest stop (1st one in Indiana) ~8:30 am
- Arrive: Allen County Public Library, Ft Wayne IN 10:00-10:15 am
- Research time ~10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Depart: Ft Wayne 6:15 pm
- Rest stop (MI west of Jackson) ~8:15 pm
- Arrive back at Chelsea Park & Ride at Exit 159 off I-94 8:45 pm
- Arrive back at Livonia Senior Center 9:30 pm
- Arrive back at Southfield (LTU) 10:00 pm
- Cost is $40.00 and open to all; boxed meals $12.00 (optional)
Wednesday, June 13th: Transitional Board Meeting from 2017-2018 Board to Newly Elected Board
6:30 pm to 8:45 pm
Livonia Civic Center Library, Room A
Want to Become a WWCGS Member? Or Need to Renew?
Want to join the WWCGS? It's easy. Just download the form via the link below, complete & sign the form, then return it along with your annual dues payment.
If you are already a member but have not renewed your membership yet for 2018-2019, you must do so soon before the grace period expires and you lose your membership rights including access to the members-only sections of this website. To renew your membership simply download the form via the link below, complete & sign the form, and return it along with your annual dues payment.
Ways to Get Involved
Want to become more involved with your Society? Here are some ways that you can help make your WWCGS better for everyone:
1) Become a part of the Hospitality Committee by:
(a) signing up to be one of two or three members who provide the break-time snacks for a given monthly General Membership Meeting. Action Step: Contact one of the Hospitality Committee Co-Chairs Marge Najarian or Charlotte Neary.
(b) volunteering to help arrange tables and chairs prior to a monthly General Membership Meeting. Action Step: Simply show up at the Livonia Senior Center about 5PM on the day of a scheduled Monday membership meeting and seek out Hospitality Committee Logistics Coordinator Raul Rodriguez.
2) Attend a monthly board meeting and learn about the planning and work that goes into making your Society what it is. Action Step: Just show up at the Livonia Civic Center Library by 6:30pm on the date of a scheduled board meeting (usually the 2nd Wednesday of the month).
3) Join the Cemetery Committee and help with one of its ongoing projects of canvassing, transcribing and/or photographing area cemetery grave markers. Action Step: Contact the Cemetery Committee Chair John Mills.
4) Contribute a family history research experience, a special family history photograph, or an interesting story from your family history for publication in the WWCGS newsletter. Action step: Contact Newsletter Chair Harvey DeWitt.
5) Join the Query Management Team and help respond to or redirect inquiries received by the Society. Action step: Contact President Mary Hazlett.
6) Volunteer as an indexer. There currently are two active indexing projects, each being conducted in conjunction with the Livonia Civic Center Library. One project involves indexing engagement and marriage notices that have appeared in the Livonia Observer newspaper. The newspapers are on microfilm and would require a time commitment of about two hours per work session using a microfilm reader at the Library. There is no minimum nor maximum number of work sessions for which you need to volunteer. The other active project involves creating surname only indices for genealogical books at the Library for which no such index exists. This work may be done at home. Action step for either project: Contact WWCGS Librarian Todd Bredin or send an email to email@example.com with “Library Volunteer” in the subject line.
7) Volunteering for a Roundtable. This involves simply sharing a personal research story, a brickwall find, or possibly something new you found on a website. An experience shared with others for 20 minutes or more will undoubtively spark questions and comments and make for a very good round table discussion. Examples: Mary Hazlett is going to talk about the WWCGS wewbsite in September. In November, Steve Schwartz will be sharing his experiences with census research and how he tracks all the discoveries he's found. Action step: Contact President Mary Hazlett to discuss your ideas.